0800 025 3451

eSale UK Online Estate Agents



Have you ever had to describe a bit of your house to someone and had no idea what it’s really called?

For example, it can be a bit humbling to have to summon a professional for a repair job, point to the bit that’s concerning you and have to refer to it as “the thingumajig attached to the whatchamacallit”. It’s even more difficult to describe parts of your home on the phone if you don’t really know what they’re called.

But what if you have a viewing lined up this weekend and you want to be ready to impress the buyer-to-be, it can also be hard to achieve your desired objective if you have to resort to your own descriptive terms rather than the proper names for things.

So, with that in mind, below are a few parts of your home which you may not know you have and, as we’re cantering into summer – a time of year when more vendors decide to make the leap and put their home on the market – we’ll add more to the list in the coming weeks. But, for now, here’s your starter for 10:

Soffit: You may have had a knock on the door and answered it to someone offering to replace your soffits and declined simply because, like so many others from outside the building trade, you don’t really know what they are. The soffits are the covering under the eaves which seals the gap between the wall and the roof. They stop rain blowing into the join which could erode in time.

Facia: Often referred to at the same time as the soffits. The fascia are the boards which face outwards along the bottom of the roofline just below the gutter. They also connect to the outside edge of the soffits, preventing rainwater from seeping in under the roof.

Bargeboard: Usually extensions to the fascia and sometime decorative, creating space under the eaves, allowing air to circulate while further reducing the risk of rainwater draining from the roof running down the walls of your house. Not every home has them though.

Cricket: Nothing to do with sport or insects. Your house might not have one but, if there’s a bit of plating around the chimney or anything else which projects from your roof deflecting rainwater either side, that’s a cricket.

Enfilade: Easily confused for a military manoeuvre but actually a hallway which leads to doors to a number of rooms and offers an uninterrupted view through the house. Similar to a corridor but not normally as long.

Ox eye: Sometimes known as its French equivalent “oeil-de-boeuf”, it’s simply a small, circular or oval window usually located above the ground floor.

Kite Winder: It might sound like an aerobatic manoeuvre but, if you have a winding staircase, you probably have one of these. It’s the section of wedge-shaped stairs which allows you to change your direction as you climb or descend.

Quoin: Not a bodily part … It’s the corner finishing stone on the external part of the house where two walls meet.

Escutcheon: It sounds more like something you might eat at an exotic restaurant but, if your door knocker, door handle of keyhole has a decorative metal plate around it, it’s an escutcheon.

Architrave: A doorframe is a complete item but did you know it has component parts? The two sides are the columns but the bit across the top is the architrave.

So, best of luck if you have that viewing coming up – and, hopefully, a little extra knowledge gives you that extra confidence J If you would like any extra help though, why not browse some of our earlier blogs? Just click back to the page and hopefully you’ll find more to make the selling process that little less daunting.